The Airflex recovery floor may be used with a wide variety of abrasive media. A full recovery floor automatically recovers abrasive material from beneath the operators' feet and effectively gives the blaster an endless supply of media, thus eliminating the need to stop production to recover media.
The Airflex sweeper floor is made of modular corridors, each with a series of flexible rubber blades set at regular intervals. The blades rest against steel combs thus allowing it to push or pull the abrasive when the comb is behind the rubber. On the alternate stroke the comb passes through the abrasive and the rubber blade passes over it.
Eventually, each individual accumulation of abrasive, in the linear corridors, is deposited into a transversal corridor running at a right angle to the rest of the floor. This transversal corridor transfers the abrasive to a bucket elevator and air wash system where media separation occurs as described below:
- Initially the abrasive falls over an electro vibrating sieve. This sieve is set at 40 degrees and delivers all large contaminates directly to a waste collection bin at floor level.
- All particles that make it through the sieve fall into an air wash. Any dust particles are taken away via connecting duct work to the dust extractor.
- Also caught up in this air stream are any particles of spent abrasive. These particles will, if allowed, damage the filter media. To counter this, in between the air wash and the duct to the extractor we install an air plenum. As the air travels slower through this section any particles of spent abrasive fall out of the air stream and are delivered to the waste collection bin.
- Finally, good abrasive is delivered to the hopper above the blast machines. This high attention to eliminating contamination from the abrasive substantially increases the life of dust collector filters.
- Once all the abrasive in the blast machine has been delivered, or at any other time the operator releases the dead mans handle, the blast machine is automatically filled with fresh abrasive from the hopper above.
Benefits of Airflex Sweeper Floor over competitive systems:
- Little civil works required due to a floor depth of only 5.125". May also be installed above ground with no civil works required.
- Virtually silent working operation.
- Relatively little energy consumption - one 2 HP motor can effectively drive a single floor section up to 100' long.
- Flexible scraper blades provide for a long service life and less maintenance compared to fixed steel blade systems, screw type auger systems or pneumatic floor systems.
- No moving metal components in operation in the abrasive circuit or hinges, which are prone to grit ingress.
- No compressed air consumption. Floor sections are driven with 2 HP electric motors. Other systems incorporate pneumatic drives which can be prone to wear in a dusty environment.